Thank you for your interest in special education in
San Luis Obispo County
To facilitate growth and collaboration for the special education community by modeling child-centered thinking, honest communication and leadership with neutrality.
What is a SELPA?
The Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA), per state mandate, provides county wide regional coordination and leadership in special education to insure compliance with state and federal laws relating to students with disabilities. Our SELPA provides an array of services related to special education to LEAs, parents and the community.
In 1977, AB 1250 required all LEAs and county school offices to join to form geographical regions of sufficient size and scope to provide for all the special education service needs of children residing within their region boundaries.
All SELPAs have the same basic goals:
- To assure that appropriate programs and services are provided to meet the needs of each child with disabilities in their SELPA.
- To assure that a full continuum of programs is available to each individual with exceptional needs.
- To maintain programs and services within the SELPA which will allow each individual with disabilities to achieve at a level commensurate with their ability and potential.
- To assure that each individual with disabilities is integrated within the district curriculum and extracurricular activities as appropriate.
- To assure the availability of due process rights for all students and their parents
- To increase awareness of parents of individuals with exceptional needs.
- To maintain opportunities for sharing technical resources.
- To retain public support for special education.
- To maintain lines of communication with parents, staff, and the Community Advisory Committee.
The SELPA provides the following:
- Program availability for all children with disabilities
- Curriculum/program development
- Community Advisory Committee (CAC) support
(We are seeking parents of students in special education to join our Community Advisory Committee.)
- Community awareness
- Program coordination
- Professional development
- Procedural safeguards
- Data collection/management
- Fiscal management
- Program evaluation/review
Please contact the SELPA with comments, suggestions or questions at the phone number below.